Declutter Your Home: Tips for Spring Cleaning
Spring is right around the corner, and that means that it’s time to start decluttering your home! For some, this can be an overwhelming and tedious task. Luckily, we’ve put together some great tips to help you tackle your mess one step at a time!
1. Go through that closet. For most, it’s common to pack up those warmer weather clothing items, put them in a clear container and store them away until that colder weather comes back around, but what if we took that a step further? In the spirit of spring cleaning, after you’ve gathered up all of your winter clothes, go through them and ask yourself if you actually wore that item throughout the winter. If the answer is no, you may want to consider creating a donation pile. It’s very freeing to be able to thin out your wardrobe to just the clothing that you wear, and you can feel good about helping those in need with the items that you've donated.
2. Refresh your bed. Things are warming up, which means it’s time to get rid of that heavy comforter and those flannel sheets for a lighter and airier linen bed set. Now would also be a good idea to put away a blanket or two. Be sure to always wash everything first and then pack it away. If anything seems tattered up, you should consider getting rid of it altogether, especially if there’s a chance you won’t want to use it again.
The Living Room & Dining Room
1. Dust. It may seem pretty straight forward, but clearing off all of your tabletops and dusting them is a crucial step in spring cleaning. Pull your vacuum out and vacuum up any dust on your lampshades and other surfaces as well.
2. Switch up your décor. You may be feeling that itch to completely change your interior design as the weather gets warmer, but you can completely transform a space by swapping out just a few simple elements. Start by changing out photos in frames, upgrade from fall to bright spring throw pillows, change out your fall accent pieces, like pumpkins or lanterns, with some spring-themed ones or simply get some spring flowers to help liven up your space.
1. Clean out food. Go through cupboards, the fridge and the freezer to clean out rotten or expired foods. Look for anything that is past its “best by” date or containers that look like they may be growing something fuzzy. While you’re in there, wipe down all the shelves in both the fridge and cupboards. Things should start feeling better already!
2. Sweep, mop, wipe. Nothing makes a kitchen shine like a freshly mopped floor, clean counters and sparkling cupboards. Start by sweeping your floors with a broom to pick up all the big stuff and then go in with your mop. Most of us probably already wipe down our cupboards on the regular, but now is a good time to do it again.
Now that we’ve helped you get a head start, you should be a cleaning machine! Keep working towards decluttering your spaces and making things shine and you’ll be ready for spring in no time. Feeling like you want a total refresh as the spring season rolls around? Contact our agents on our Contact Us page or call at (817) 717-6036 today to learn how we can turn your dream home into a reality!